Last Modified: 27th Feb 2021
gotopray does not collect your name, email address, location, or other similar information unless you choose to provide it.
We collect additional limited information automatically from visitors who read, browse and download reports from our site or app or use our features such as PrayerBook, Ramadan Book, Quran, Dua, and Islamic Community require signing up. We do this to understand how the site is being used and how we can make it more helpful. The bottom line is that our services keep users’ information confidential and do not sell any information that we get after your sign up process to any third party. We, at gotopray, value our user’s privacy and collect their information only after they consent to make the most of our features and have a great overall experience.
1. Information we collect
The information we collect from you comprises the general information that we collect from all users and some specific information you provide upon registering on the Gotopray app or gotopray.com. The information we gather is only for improving your experience of our features.
1.1 When you browse:
Specific information about your visit can be collected when you browse our website. This is when you browse gotopray.com, we, and in some cases, our third-party service providers can contain the following types of information about your visit, including:
- IP address (an IP or internet protocol address is a number that is automatically assigned to a device connected to the web)
- Operating system (which is software that directs a computer’s essential functions such as executing programs and managing storage) for the device that you are using and information about the browser you used when visiting the site
- Operating system (which is software that directs a computer’s basic functions such as executing programs and managing storage) for the device that you are using and information about the browser you used when visiting the site.
- Date and time
- Pages information
- Address of the website that redirected you to gotopray.com (such as Google.com)
- Device type (desktop computer, tablet, or type of mobile device)
- Browser language
- Time spent on pages
- User events (e.g. clicking a button)
- Cookies of prayer times setting i.e. Calculation method, juristic method, Latitude and Longitude of your selected location.
We use this information to measure the number of visitors to our site and its various sections, to help make our site more useful to visitors, and to improve our public education and outreach through digital advertising. Also, this information is sometimes used to personalize the content we show to you on third-party sites.
1.2 General information and permissions:
The general information we collect is applicable to all our Gotopray users. All these permissions except for the user’s device information is obtained only after the user’s consent. Whenever we collect any information of the user, it is transmitted to us in a secure way. The following permissions are taken on app level that we require from you:
- Location information is required for providing our users accurate Prayer Times, Qibla direction, information about Places around them,Local Muslims for creating events and Islamic Calendar for the date.
- Notification permission is required for sending prayer times and other helpful reminder notifications. This permission is required from iOS users only.
- Network permissions both Wifi and mobile data, in order to use Wifi for Gotopray services.
- Camera permissions are required for taking photos for posting in our Community section and for updating profile picture. This permission is required from iOS users only.
- Media storage (photo gallery) permission is required for downloading translations of Quran and for sharing Prayer times, Duas, Ayats and Gallery images.
- Bluetooth permission is required in order to share Prayer times, Duas, Ayats and Gallery images via Bluetooth. This permission is required from Android users only.
- Phone state/Address book access is required to help users contact any Islamic organization and invite their friends and family to use our app respectively.
- Device Information includes your hardware and software information comprising of Device Model, Device OS and their App version number.
- Device Identifiers are used for sending push notification via Firebase(Google Analytics).
Changing permission settings:
You can always change your permission settings on Gotopray by going into your Device’s settings:
For iOS users:
If you want to change your app permissions for Location, Media storage/Photos, Camera, Address Book/Contacts, or Notifications
- Navigate to Settings of your Device
- Tap on ‘Gotopray’
- Click on the required permission.
- Allow/Disallow it
For Android users:
- If you want to change your app permissions for Location, Media storage/Photos, Phone State
- Navigate to Settings of your Device
- Tap on Gotopray
- Click on the required permission
- Allow/Disallow it
- If you want to change app permissions for Notifications
- Navigate to Settings of your device
- Navigate to Notifications of your device
- Choose Gotopray app
- Allow/Disallow it
1.3 Information you provide us directly:
The information you provide us directly is upon Signing up. There are two types of accounts present on Gotopray and gotopray.com, “Business” and “Personal.” With a Business account, you can promote your business on our Local Muslim platform by creating events, posting promotions, etc. A personal account is your account through which you can create private events and share posts. Business account users can set a type of business (Halal food, Mosque & Organization, School & Education, and Other) to their accounts, visible on their profiles. They can also add bio, website, contact info, and their addresses in the about section, which is exclusive for business accounts. Creating a business account will also add their business names to Places/Organizations in the Islamic Community. A personal statement can not have any of these features; however, it can create an event or a discussion in the same way as a business account can do. Both the Business and Personal account can use all the features that we offer, including PrayerBook, Ramadan Book, and bookmarking.
1.3.1 Account information:
For Business accounts, when you sign up, you will provide us with your “Business type,” “Full Name,” “Email Address,” “Password,” “Location,” and “Profile Picture” (optional). Later a Business account through its Profile can add its “Bio,” “Website,” “Contact,” and “Address.” For Personal accounts, you provide us with your “Full Name,” “Email Address,” “Password,” “Location,” and “Profile Picture” (optional). All of this information can be edited via your Profile. The information like user ID, email address, passwords, and your Prayer and Ramadan log is secured and never shared with anyone, nor with the gotopray team. This information can be shared with your country’s government authorities upon their formal request, which is handled very carefully.
1.3.2 Islamic Community:
Our Islamic Community feature is available in all countries; users can create posts, events, likes, and comments in discussions. This is purely user-generated data, and we do not own anything.
- When you share a post (e.g., an update, image, or article) publicly, it can be viewed by everyone and re-shared anywhere. Members, Visitors, and others will find and see your publicly-shared content, including your name and photo (if you have provided one).
- We let senders know when you like or comment on their posts.
- At any point in time, users can delete their content or report the other’s content if they find it inappropriate.
- We store Prayer logs and badges earned by our PrayerBook users.
1.3.4 Ramadan Book:
- For our Ramadan Book users, we store Fast and Deed logs and the badges earned.
1.4 Third party tools:
We don’t share your data with anyone. Only these mentioned tools get your data for advertisements, sharing, or tracking purposes.
- Google Analytics
- Firebase (App only)
- Facebook Analytics (App only)
- Disqus (Website only)
- Addthis (Website only)
- Twilio for SMS Service (Website only)
This is governed by the security and privacy policies of their respective websites. You should review all websites’ privacy policies before using them so that you understand how your information may be used. For app analytics and app crashes, we use Google (Firebase) and Facebook analytics. These analytics do not collect your personal information and only help us in improving your experience.
2. How we use your information
The information that you provide is completely safe with us as our users’ safety is our utmost priority. We have taken extraordinary safety and security measures to ensure the data protection of our valued users. The information you provide us is purely and solely used to give you a personalized experience and improve any shortcomings our app has to facilitate you. We use your data to provide, support, personalize, and develop our Services.
2.1 Account information:
None of the user’s Prayer logs, badges, posts, comments, events, Deeds and Fast history is shared with any third party companies. At any given time the user can download his data to review it or delete his account with gotopray permanently.
2.1.1 Islamic Community:
We store our users’ posts, events, likes, comments, and whether they have reported a particular position. This information is stored to display it on the application and website. None of this is shared with any third party. At any time, if the user wants, they can delete a particular post or report any other user’s post if they find it inappropriate.
We store Prayer logs and badges earned by our PrayerBook users in order to maintain there Prayer history and award them new badges and help them keep track of their Prayers.
2.1.3 Ramadan Book:
We store Fast and Deed logs and badges earned by our Ramadan Book users in order to observe their performance during the holy month of Ramadan and help them keep track of their Fasts.
2.2 Marketing purposes:
The information you provide us directly after signing up, which includes your “Full Name” and “Email Address,” is used to send you a more personalized email and newsletters regarding our exciting updates. Only registered users who have an account with gotopray or those who have specifically subscribed to our newsletter fall under this category. At any point in time, the user can unsubscribe from our newsletter, following which they will not get any personalized emails from us. Surveys that help us get feedback to improve our app are also sent to the users based on the App version number they are using. You are not obligated to respond to polls or surveys. We use “Device ID” to send personalized notifications and updates regarding our latest features. At any point in time, the user can opt-out of the push notifications permission that he has given to Gotopray by going to his device’s settings and of gotopray.com by going to the browser’s Settings.
2.3 Customer support:
At any point in time, our users can contact us via our support email address that is “[email protected]” When they do so, the “Email Address” by which they are sending the email is visible to our support agents and the Device information they are sending, which includes their Device Model, Device OS, and their App version number. We use this information to investigate, respond to, and resolve complaints and Service issues (e.g., bugs).
We use these tools to collect necessary information about our users’ visits and behavior on both gotopray.com and Gotopray. This information is then used to maintain the website, including monitoring site stability, measuring website traffic, optimizing website content, improving search engine optimization, and making the website more useful to visitors. For Gotopray, the information we gather from our analytics (Google, Facebook, and Firebase) only helps us to improve your everyday experience. This information is not personal and only facilitates us in improving and understanding how our users use Gotopray. At any point in time, our users can opt-out of these third-party tracking services by switching to the analytics services that we offer in our Gotopray settings or use the gotopray.com privacy manager to opt-out of website analytics tools.
2.5.2 Cookies we use:
- Calculation Method (Prayer times calculation based on this cookie)
- Current detected Location (To calculate exact prayer times, Calendar and Qibla direction according to users location)
- Last detected location (Save users previous city location so that he can change location easily from our recent location option)
- dhuharTimeAfterZawal (Users preference of prayer times setting saved in this cookie)
- ishaTimeAdjustment (Users preference of prayer times setting saved in this cookie)
- fajarAngle (Users preference of prayer times setting saved in this cookie)
- ishaAngle (Users preference of prayer times setting saved in this cookie)
- hijriDateAdjustment (Users preference of prayer times setting saved in this cookie)
- juristicMethod (Users preference of prayer times setting saved in this cookie)
- maghribTimeAfterSunset (Users preference of prayer times setting saved in this cookie)
- lastUpdatedLocation (Users last updated location saved to calculate prayer times)
- onBoardingDisplayed (To restrict that onboarding of site not displayed to user every time)
- recentLocations (To identify users recent location)
- timeZoneDifference (To calculate exact prayer times)
- translator (To show Quran translation according to users location)
However, you may prefer to disable cookies on this site and on others. The most effective way to do this is to disable cookies in your browser. We suggest consulting the ‘Help’ section of your browser, but be aware that certain functionality may not be available to you.
2.6 Update information:
Any information that you want us to change or delete, for instance, your email address, can be requested by you. These requested changes will be made only after your consent, and we will update you regarding them. For any such requests you can always contact us on our support email i.e. [email protected]
2.7 User consents:
We will be storing the permissions that you have allowed the Gotopray app and gotopray.com for audit purposes.
3. Information we share
Newsletters are sent to our users regularly, updating the users on our latest features and news. We use AWS services and Sendgrid to send newsletters. Newsletters are sent only to those users who have registered on the Gotopray app or gotopray.com. We have given an option in our newsletters whereby users can unsubscribe. Users can unsubscribe from our newsletters whenever they want.
3.2 Social Media:
To give you more choices to sign up and provide you with the ease of signing up through just one click, we have given the option of signing up through Facebook and Apple. A user can share whatever they want to share (earned badges, Duas, Ayats, Events, Posts, Articles on News) via social media platforms like Facebook, Whatsapp or other shareability platforms like Bluetooth, etc.
3.3 In-app Purchases:
With our in-app purchases, we allow our users to buy our exciting promotions and become our premium users. We use Google Play and App Store services for our Android and iOS apps for in-app purchases, respectively. We do not store your credit card information; we will not be responsible for any loss of data. Please review Google Play and App store policies for details.
3.4 Customer Support (Zendesk):
The support channel we use to handle all our user queries, feedback, and issues is Zendesk. With Zendesk, we only get to view our user’s “Email Address” and Device information that they are sending, which includes their Device Model, Device OS, and their App version number. We use this information to investigate, respond, and resolve complaints and Service issues. If you are contacting us, then you are sharing this information of yours at your own risk. Our support agents can also help update or delete your account information if you request it.
The information we gather from our analytics only helps us to improve your everyday experience. We use analytics to personalize your app experience and send you personalized push notifications. Through analytics, we collect necessary site usage information such as: how many visits gotopray.com receives, the pages visited by consumers, time spent on the site, the number of return visits to the site, the approximate location of the device used to access the site, types of devices used, etc. This information is then used to maintain the website, including monitoring site stability, measuring site traffic, optimizing site content, and improving the consumer experience. At any point in time, you can choose to opt-out of our app analytics tracking for Google(Firebase) and Facebook by turning off permissions via App Settings, Gotopray Analytics option given in the app, or use the gotopray.com privacy manager to opt-out of website analytics tools.
3.6 Advertisements and Digital Marketing:
For advertisements, we use Google ads. We assure you that the ads we show you are not personalized and that we share no information with these third parties. The reason we are using advertisements in our app is that our revenue model is based on ads. To provide you with a better experience, at any point in time, if you find any ad inappropriate, or not according to your taste, you can report or block it on Gotopray as well as gotopray.com. gotopray.com uses third-party tools to help deliver advertising. Vendors that operate the third-party tools may also gather information about your visits to third-party sites outside of gotopray.com. However, while it does not track your individual-level activity on the Internet outside of gotopray.com, our vendors may collect information automatically collected by gotopray.com (not information you provide), and combine it with data they collect elsewhere for targeted advertising purposes. You can opt-out of this type of data collection via Privacy Manager, Adchoices, and Do Not Track. See Your Choices about tracking and data collection below for methods to opt-out of this type of compilation. The outreach and education analytics tools provide reports which aggregate data such as the number of clicks on advertisements.
4. How we store your information
Your Ramadan book Fast and Deed logs and PrayerBook Prayer logs along with your Dua and Quran bookmarks data along with the events and posts created by you using our community feature and Places are cached (stored on your device temporarily) for sometime before it is sent to our Servers for a smooth app experience. Once it is sent to our servers, it is safe and secure. We implement security safeguards designed to protect your data. We store your personal information on our Servers, which follow all the security protocols, monitor, and prevent any security breaches. All this cached data, which includes PrayerBook stats, Global and Local Muslim events, is present as view only on our website gotopray.com and you can not edit from there.
5. Your choices and obligations
We provide many choices about the collection, use, and sharing of your data, from deleting or correcting data you include in your Profile to controlling your posts’ visibility. We offer settings on both Gotopray and gotopray.com to control and manage the personal data.
5.1 For personal data that we have about you:
You can perform the following actions on your account at any time:
On Gotopray, you can edit some of your account data through your account, which includes updating your “Name,” “Profile Picture,” “Hometown,” “Password.” A business account can edit “Full Name,” “Email Address,” “Password,” “Hometown,” “Profile Picture,” “Bio,” “Website,” “Contact,” and “Address.” Both accounts can edit the posts and events that they have created on the Islamic Community. You can also ask us to change your “Email Address” associated with your account, update or fix your data in some instances, mainly if it’s inaccurate.
You can download a copy of your data used in Gotopray and gotopray.com and is linked to your account. The download options are present on both platforms. The following information will be sent to you in the form of a download link via email once requested:
- Your Profile: name, hometown (location), profile picture, email
- Your Business Profile: business name, hometown (location), profile picture, email, business type, bio, website link, contact info, address
- Your Community feed data, including posts shown in my feed, comment on the posts and reply to comments on posts.
- Your PrayerBook data: badges, Prayer logs
- Your PrayerBook data: badges, Prayer logs
- Bookmarks: Dua and Quran
You can delete your account by going into our App setting into gotopray.com. Once you have deleted your account, you will not be able to sign-in using the same account. You will have to register again on the Gotopray app or gotopray.com to use the same account. However, at the moment, you cannot sign up for a Business account via gotopray.com. Once you delete or terminate your account, gotopray will delete all your data associated with this account:
- Your Personal Profile: name, password, hometown (location), profile picture, email
- Your Business Profile: business name, password, hometown (location), profile picture, email, business type, bio, website link, contact info, address
- Your Global Muslims feed data including posts shown in my feed, comments on post,likes on post, replies to comments on posts
- Your Local Muslims events including number of interests on an event,comments on events,replies to comments.
- Your PrayerBook data: badges, Prayer logs
- Your Ramadan Book data: Deed logs, Fast logs, badges
- Your Bookmarks: Dua and Quran
The only information that gotopray will keep with it is the email address associated with this account, which will let us know that this account has been deleted and help us maintain a record of deleted accounts. If you wish to delete your account via our gotopray website, you will have to delete it using the Gotopray app by signing in from the same Email address from the Edit profile.
5.1.4 Newsletter subscription:
At any point in time, you can choose to opt-out of our newsletter subscription. To opt-in again, you will have to re-subscribe, or you can always send a request to our support channel. We can do all of these functionalities mentioned above if you send us a request via our support representative.
5.2 How long do we keep your content:
Following termination or deactivation of your account, gotopray, its Affiliates, or its Service Providers may retain information (your email address primarily) and your permission consents for a commercially reasonable time for backup, archival, and/or audit purposes. Your email address will be retained in order to keep track of the deactivated accounts.
6. Other information
6.1 Other websites and services:
6.1.1 Prayer Times:
Prayer times are based on your location. We use multiple cookies for gotopray.com, as mentioned in clause “2.5.2” and longitude latitude along with Calculation and Juristic methods for calculation of our Prayer Times according to your region. All this data is verified from authentic sources. We do our best to give our users an error-free and seamless product experience. However, if you have any queries, you can report to us at [email protected]
Quran is one of our most popular features of gotopray. To provide our users with authentic data, we are using a renowned project Tanzil services for our Quranic data. Tanzil offers a highly verified Unicode Quran text to be used in Quranic websites and applications. gotopray does not own any of the data present in Quran and is using Tanzil.net services.
Dua is also a popular feature of gotopray. We have brought to you more than 300 Duas with authentic sources taken out from Kutub al-Sittah, which are considered the most accurate source of hadith.
6.1.4 Hijri Date Adjustment:
Every month, our team reviews the popular Islamic Organizations that update and notify Hijri date adjustments according to lunar changes through Firebase. These changes are reviewed every month to make sure that our Hijri Calendar is accurate. gotopray and its services do not own any of this data and use renowned Islamic Organizations as a resource to provide our users with authentic dates.
6.1.5 Iqama and other events:
Iqama is an event type of our Local Muslims feature along with Talks, Halal food ,Fund Raise, Sports and Muslim Gathering. All the events created by a Personal or a Business account are owned by those accounts respectively. All the data is created by public and gotopray does not own anything. If you find any event in-appropriate you can always report it.
Although the content is shown on gotopray products inappropriate for any age of audience, children under the age of 13 are advised to create their accounts under the supervision of their parents or legal guardians. You must be over the period required by your country’s laws to create an account or otherwise use the services, or we will need to obtain verifiable consent from your parent or legal guardian. For any queries, feel free to contact us at [email protected]
6.3. How to contact us: